Sexuality is an integral and amazing part of the human experience. We all deserve to have wonderful and satisfying sex lives, whether that is alone or with other people. While there are so many different and varied aspects of human sexuality, there are two areas in particular that are my primary focus - Female Sexual Empowerment and Sex Education for Parents, Parents-to-be, & Anyone with Kids in their Lives. Most of my courses contain “The 5 Building Blocks to a Healthy Sexuality”, which address the very important non-sexual aspects of learning about sex; Communication, Consent, Respect, Pleasure, & Fantasy.
Some of the workshops and classes I offer:
- Using Sex Positive Messages When Working With Teens - This is a presentation I developed for adults who work with Teen Parents. Young adults who become parents at a young age need our support, not our criticism or scorn. We – as a society that fears open communication about all things sexual – have failed them once by, in most cases, failing to give them good information about what “sex” is and what it isn’t, wanting to “protect their innocence” when they are already curious &/or experimenting, or by not giving them the information and the support they need to protect themselves from situations that put them at risk”. This class helps professionals (nurse case managers, counselors, therapists, etc) maintain a sex-positive, understanding, and supportive attitude as they work with teens who are still developing but now are parents themselves.
- Parenting Workshops - Think of these classes as Train the Trainer. I understand that most parents did not have good sexuality education as they were growing up – I sure didn’t and neither did most of my friends. That fact alone gives lots of parents anxiety about talking to their own kids. I will give you the tools you need to gain a level of comfort about making these conversations (yes, that’s plural) part of your everyday lives. We are all sexual beings from cradle to grave. Acknowledging that is the first step. I’ll also guide you as to why and how to talk to our kids about sex & sexuality (hint: it’s not about positions or placing condoms on a banana). We’ll discuss the common pitfalls and roadblocks and learn how to maneuver around them.
Talking With Your Kids About Sex: A Guide for Parents, Parents-to-be, and Anyone with Kids in Their Lives - Everyone knows that talking with kids about sex is important, but it’s still one of the hardest things to do. Whether you’re a parent yourself, you plan to be someday, or you want to support the parents (and young people) in your life, the best way to do it right is to plan for it in advance. I have worked with hundreds of parents and I’ll help you figure it out. I’ll talk about common barriers parents have to having “the talk,” ways to integrate discussions of sexuality, relationships, decision making, and other relevant topics into everyday conversations, how to identify your own hurdles and challenges, where to get the best info you need to support your children, and more. Sex-positive parenting is something that takes practice and work, and with my help, you’ll be well on your way to making sure your kids (and future kids) will have the info, support, and skills to take care of themselves, make the best decisions they can, and enjoy a happy and fulfilling sex life.
- Fem Sex Workshops - Lots of adults did not receive formal education about sex & sexuality as they were growing up. For women that is compounded by the fact that we’re not given really ANY information about pleasure or the function of our clitoris. In a comfortable and relaxed environment, we’ll chat about your bodies and our sexuality and how important it is to support other women (not compete with each other). As we learn about the power of female sexuality, we’ll also learn from each other about sexuality in all ages and stages of the life span.
- “Fifty Shades of Grey” Discussion Groups - Want to get together with others who have read these books? Want to chat with a Sexologist and find out what aspects can be taken home to the bedroom? Sexologist Lanae St.John leads a discussion of the finer aspects of the “Fifty Shades of Grey” books, the series that has taken the bedroom by storm and ignited mainstream America’s imagination. These books are NOT a “how-to” guide but there are some interesting things to take away. If you are well-versed in BDSM play, this group will bore you as it is geared for those of you who are newbies or vanilla looking to add a bit of flavor; we will talk about some basic toys used in the books and what NOT to use. Let’s learn more about these books and others like them.
- Mom’s Out At Night (MOAN) or Bachelorette Parties - Sort of a shorter, more fun version of a FemSex course. Get a group of your best girlfriends together with a bottle of wine (or two) and we’ll talk about… anything your hearts desire! I’ll bring props and toys and recommendations that will knock your socks off.
If you would like to schedule any one of these, please contact me by email.
Consulting with Parents about Sex & Kids
“I LOVE the sex questions! I remember when you helped me sort through some of this stuff. And now I welcome all of it Thanks for being so open and reminding us that it’s all OK – it doesn’t have to be tricky or taboo.”
“You have a new fan that supports your causes, both parenting and female empowerment about sex. I will definitely be keeping up with your blog.” ~A.M.